Wednesday 20th January 2010

The Road

Director: John Hillcoat
Year: 2009
Stars: Viggo Mortensen, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Charlize Theron

After reading some very positive reviews of this movie, I thought I would go to the cinema and have a look for myself.

The film is based on the book by Cormac McCarthy (which I haven't read), about a man and his son who are trying to survive in the world after some undetermined apocalyptic event that has caused 99% of the human race to die.

What the film is trying to do makes sense, and is a great idea. Instead of focusing on the event itself, the story jumps straight into the aftermath, looking at how the humans who are left might behave whilst trying to survive-their hunger being especially relevant here. It's an admirable idea and, on a number of levels, does work. However, it might have been nice to have a little more context.

I was left with more questions than answers, and a number of these could easily have been addressed without taking anything away from the movie. Perhaps this was just a result of the way the book was written, or not wanting to make the movie too long, I don't know. But I don't think the film would have suffered for a slightly longer explanation.

Oh, and if you're looking at him and wondering - yes, that is Guy Pearce.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.