Sunday 24th January 2010

Dr Zhivago

Director: David Lean
Year: 1965
Stars: Omar Sharif, Julie Christie, Geraldine Chaplin, Rod Steiger, Alec Guiness

Having heard lots about this classic movie, and never having seen it, I figured it was worth a watch as it was being shown on TV. However, I was also slightly wary. I've watched long David Lean films before and been, well, a little bored. And this definitely fits in the "long" category, being over 3 hours long.

The film tells the story of Yuri Zhivago, a Dr living in Russia in the early 20th century. He has a good, successful life until the Bolsheviks come to power and Russia becomes a communist nation. Dr Zhivago is a love story, but it is also the history of a man living, and trying to survive in, a volatile Russia.

Thankfully, my fears were short-lived. Yes, it is long, but it is also an incredibly engaging, enjoyable story. My one complaint is that it took some time to figure out who all the characters were - and even at the end I needed to have a discussion about who was related to who, how and what had happened to all of them. Some more obvious introductions to characters would have helped here - sometimes it needs to be assumed that, yes, the audience is stupid.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.