December 2009 films

This month has been a bit different for me film-wise; I've watched a large number of movies (probably more than normal), but haven't been to the cinema once. This is partly due to Christmas taking up a lot of my spare time, and partly due to the fact that I've been ill for half the month - meaning I couldn't face cinema visits. Hopefully January will be a little more cinema filled! However, these are the many films I've seen at home:
  • The Ant Bully (2006) - 2.5 stars
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007) - 4 stars
  • Grey Gardens (2009) - 2 stars
  • Tristan + Isolde (2006) - 4 stars
  • The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992) - 5 stars
  • The Ten Commandments (1956) - 4 stars
  • Jack Frost (1998) - 3 stars
  • A Simple Plan (1998) - 4 stars
  • Freedom Writers (2007) - 3.5 stars
  • The Rat Pack (1998) - 2 stars
  • Hunger (2008) - 3.5 stars
  • Taking Lives (2004) - 3 stars
  • Inside I'm Dancing (2004) - 4 stars
  • A guide to recognizing your saints (2007) - 2.5 stars
  • Jingle all the Way (1996) - 2 stars
  • The Island (2005) - 3.5 stars
  • Kinsey (2004) - 3 stars
  • Happy Go Lucky (2008) - 2.5 stars
  • Employee of the Month (2006) - 2 stars
So all in all, a fairly mediocre month for movies - although with some stand-out films. Perhaps though, the reason for so many 2 and 2.5 star movies is simply that I've seen so many this month, rather than that it's been an especially bad selection of movies.

Whilst a number of the 4 star movies are definitely worthy of their scores (Inside I'm Dancing, A Simple Plan and Pirates 3, amongst others), there is one film that beats all others this month for me - and that's The Muppet Christmas Carol. How very Christmas-spirited of me! It is a great film though, with all the best bits of The Christmas Carol, and told in true Muppet style. A great Christmas movie for everybody.

As for Film not to waste your time on, that honour goes to The Rat Pack. Whilst other films also scored 2 stars, this is the one with the least intrigue. It just has nothing to keep you interested - at least the others have a back story, or a premise, or SOMETHING original about them. The Rat Pack has none of the above. It's just dull.

Film of the Month: The Muppet Christmas Carol
Film not to waste your time on: The Rat Pack

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.