Monday 21st December 2009

The Ten Commandments

Director: Cecil B. DeMille
Year: 1956
Stars: Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner, Anne Baxter

Now here's a "proper" movie. Epic in length and scale, it's the type of movie you think about when you think of the "golden age" of Hollywood.

More properly it should really be called Moses, being that the part of the movie with the Ten Commandments takes up the final 10 minutes of a 4 hour movie (it's a good job it's Christmas and I'm not very busy right now). You know the movie is going to be epic when it starts with God making the world in 7 days... it then proceeds to tell you the full story of Moses' life, from birth to death.

Of course, most of the special effects look totally naff in comparison to what can be done today. But then, this was made in 1956 - and for that time, these special effects are groundbreaking. Even now, I was pretty impressed with the way the sea parted.

Long, but worth it if you're willing to put in the effort - and are happy watching tales of Bible stories. To be fair, the one of Moses isn't exactly dull, even if you're not religious.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.