Thursday 8th October

Julie and Julia

Director: Nora Ephron
Year: 2009
Stars: Meryl Streep, Amy Adams, Stanley Tucci, Chris Messina

This film appealed to me because it is about one of my favourite hobbies - cooking. The reviews made it sound different, and interesting. So this became the second cinema visit of the week - because both Creation and Julie and Julia were looking like they wouldn't be on at cinemas after today, and we'd been on holiday during the majority of their cinema runs.

Julie and Julia is about two women, separated by about 50 years. Julia is a woman trying to find something she loves doing when she moves to Paris with her husband, and ends up turning to cooking and, ultimately, writing a cookery book. Julie lives in New York with her husband and is looking for a challenge she can blog about in a year - and ends up choosing to try and cook all the recipes in Julia's now famous cookbook. The film is based on a true story - Julie really did do this, and wrote a blog about her experiences.

I can acknowledge that this film won't be for everyone, but I loved it. I could identify very easily with the characters (especially Julie, who seemed to have an awful lot of me in her - at points it was like watching myself when things go wrong in the kitchen), and the film's subject matter helped a lot.

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.