September 2009 films

September has been something a quieter month for films - probably due to the fact that I've been on holiday for half of it, and busy doing things that didn't include going to the cinema! I did get to the cinema a few times early in the month though, so the list below isn't as short as it could have been:

* Three to Tango (1999)
* The Break-up (2006)
* Litte Miss Sunshine (2006)
* Snakes on a Plane (2006)
* The Hurt Locker (2008)
* Mesrine: Public Enemy No. 1 (2008)
* Big Nothing (2006)
* The Lost Boys (1987)
* Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Most of these films were average to good, all of them scoring either 3 or 4. That's pretty rare for me, usually something gets a 1 or a 5! Which makes it quite hard to pick good and bad movies this month. The Lost Boys, Little Miss Sunshine and Mesrine are at the top of my list, whilst The Hurt Locker and Snakes on a Plane are at the bottom.

It's taken some deliberation, but I think Film of the Month has to go to Little Miss Sunshine. Whilst I love The Lost Boys, it is very '80s, and I can recognise that part of the reason I love it is because I grew up with it. Mesrine is also very good, but the first film is better, and the fact that it is a sequel makes it hard to recommend solely on it's own merit. Little Miss Sunshine is original and charming, which are two things I love about it. Part of me wonders why I only gave it 4 stars - I'll have to go back and read my own review!

As for Film not to waste your time on, I guess this honour has to go to Snakes on a Plane. The Hurt Locker is perhaps not as insightful as I was hoping for, but it would be really easy to hate Snakes on a Plane - and I'm sure many people do. It is Hollywood drivel (although people should know this), and we'd not really be any worse off if it wasn't in the world.

Film of the month: Little Miss Sunshine
Film not to waste your time on: Snakes on a Plane

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.