Wednesday 29th July

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Director: David Yates
Year: 2009
Stars: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint

Even if you haven't read the books or seen any of the films, I'm pretty sure you've heard of Harry Potter. I'm not a particularly obsessive fan - I've read all the books (but can't remember every detail) and seen all the films (but generally only once or twice), but I enjoy the story enough to want to see the last few films.

And this time around, I'm glad I did. Some of the earlier films have had some especially cheesy moments in them, but in keeping with the book, this one is somewhat darker. Some people have hated this, saying the dark moments don't sit well with the comedy and romance. But I, for one, thought it all worked pretty well together. Of course, it helps that this is one of the better books in the series too.

I'm guessing there's not much need to go over the plot - those of you that care already know it, and those of you that don't still won't after this review! Suffice it to say that Harry, Ron and Hermione are still trying to fight the evil that is Voldemort, and things are beginning to get a lot more sinister than they were three or four years ago. I think this is the best film in the series so far, but I know plenty who would disagree... so I guess you have to go and see it and make up your own mind!

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.