Friday 10th July

The Killing

Director: Stanley Kubrick
Year: 1956
Stars: Sterling Hayden, Vince Edwards, Jay C. Flippen

Still on a roll with the watching old films attempt, I decided to give Kubrick's third film a try this evening. And it's not a bad film either.

The movie is one of, as far as I can tell, the original heist movies in the style of films like Snatch. Watching it makes you think very definitely of Snatch (or similar), or Tarantino movie moments, through such things as the way music is used when everybody is dying. The fact that this film appeared 40 years before those movies says something about how successful it was. I didn't realise Kubrick had had this sort of involvement/ influence on the heist/ gangster genre, but considering his offerings in genres such as horror, I guess it's not surprising.

The film is a pretty short one, and focuses on a heist that a gang carry out during a big horse race. To say much more would be to give the game away, but suffice it to say if you've seen some of the aforementioned movies you'll have a pretty good idea of what's coming. And it's pretty well executed here.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.