Sunday 24th May

Night at the Museum

Director: Shawn Levy
Year: 2006
Stars: Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Owen Wilson, Steve Coogan, Ricky Gervais

I wasn't expecting much from this film. It was simply something to watch on a Bank Holiday weekend when I wanted a relaxing evening not having to think about very much at all really. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised.

Ben Stiller plays Larry Daley, a guy who's a bit of a loser really and can't hold down a job. So when his ex-wife tells him his son needs some stability, he ends up taking a job as a night guard at the city museum. Just one snag with that, as Larry finds out - every night, the things in the museum come to life.

This could so easily have been a film with one idea and no plot. Thankfully, it's not. The film actually has a plot that happily fills it's running time, without feeling either rushed or dragged out. Yes, the things in the museum coming to life do play a big part, but the film isn't afraid to use its characters to flesh out the story.

All in all, a pleasant surprise for a Bank Holiday weekend. And now I want a job as a night guard at the city museum. If the exhibits come to life, that is.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.