April 2009 Films

This month started out slowly, but as it worn on I started to get a lot of films watched - particularly during the week I was ill and couldn't face much more than just watching movies! Most of my movie-watching has been confined to the TV this month though (in fact, I've only been to the cinema twice), so the choices are a little more varied. Although, once again, all but one of the films is from the past decade.
  • State of Play (2009)
  • The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)
  • Highlander: The Source (2007)
  • Lord of War (2005)
  • Battle Royale II: Requiem (2003)
  • Just Like Heaven (2005)
  • The Lake House (2006)
  • Under the Tuscan Sun (2003)
  • Robots (2005)
  • A Cinderella Story (2004)
  • Bee Movie (2007)
  • The Reader (2008)
Picking a film of the month is quite difficult this month, as there weren't really any stand-out movies like there have been in past months. Top of the list are The Reader, Bee Movie and Under the Tuscan Sun. For me, The Reader just out-performs the others due to the way it gets you thinking, the subject matter, and the way that it changes storyline half way through and (for this viewer at least) dramatically improves the movie.

Film not to waste your time on is somewhat easier. Whilst Battle Royale II is a close contender, it cannot beat Highlander for sheer rubbishness and -what-am-I-wasting-my-time-on-this-drivel-for? type contemplations.

Film of the month: The Reader
Film not to waste your time on: Highlander: The Source

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.