Saturday 14th March

Young Guns II: Blaze of Glory

Director: Geoff Murphy
Year: 1990
Stars: Emilio Estevez, Kiefer Sutherland, Lou Diamond Phillips, Christian Slater, William Petersen

I've seen this film before. Thousands of times, actually. And I still love it. The first time I saw it I must have been about 12 or 13, it was fairly late at night and randomly on TV. The combination of the Billy the Kid legend, the old American west and the brat pack held a massive appeal for me at that age. Still does, actually.

Kiefer Sutherland has been my favourite actor ever since I saw Young Guns II (I saw it before the first one, but that really doesn't matter to understanding the plot of either film). I've seen both Young Guns I and II so many times now that my brother still refers to Kiefer as "Doc", even when I'm watching 24 (seriously, there was no way I wasn't going to watch 24 from the beginning - it has my favourite actor EVER in it).

So when Young Guns II came on TV yesterday afternoon it seemed like a really good excuse to sit down and revisit past loves. I wasn't disappointed - but I knew I wouldn't be. I've seen it too many times to not know basically every scene. I realise I'm entirely biased due to my childhood (I still don't get why critics hate it. It's not serious but it's hardly bad), but this is, and probably always will be, one of my favourite films ever. With my favourite actor ever. (Oh, and Bon Jovi wrote the soundtrack. My favourite singer ever too). I feel 12 again.

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.