Friday 2nd January

The Thief Lord

Director: Richard Claus
Year: 2006
Stars: Aaron Johnson, Jasper Harris, Rollo Weeks, Jim Carter, Caroline Goodall

I hadn't really planned to watch this film. In fact, I'd hadn't even heard of it before. But I was having a quiet lazy day and it happened to come on TV just after something else I happened to be watching. I can't say I was overwhelmed by it, but it wasn't bad.

Basically a kid's movie, most of the people in it are children, and not the best actors in the world. They improved as the script went on though, and the movie itself had a decent storyline - along with some proper caricatures. But then, that's one of the traits of a kid's movie right? The storyline involves two children whose parents have died, and the subsequent trip to Venice they take to escape their aunt and uncle, who want custody of the younger son. Once in Venice, the brothers meet a group of orphans and discover that, just as their mother said, Venice does indeed have magical qualities. However, their aunt and uncle are hot on their trail and they have to do everything they can to ensure they avoid getting caught and can stay together.

There's nothing to offend here, and the film isn't at all bad. For those looking for an hour and a half distraction on a quiet Bank Holiday (or in my case, the day after a Bank Holiday), it's worth a look.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.