Thursday 14 November 2008

Tigerland

Director: Joel Schumacher
Year: 2001
Stars: Colin Farrell, Matthew Davis, Clifton Collins Jr.

Not knowing much about this film before I watched it, I had no preconceptions about how good I thought it was going to be. All I knew was that I was getting some sort of war movie.

That much turned out to be true. The plot sees a group of guys training to go out to Vietnam, and follows them as they spend two weeks in Tigerland - "the closest thing to Vietnam state-side". The film's not bad, it's just that it doesn't feel as if it has very much new to say. It may have had a deeper message, but if it did, I missed it!

Colin Farrell's character (Bozz) was clearly meant to be a pacifist, which worked up to the point he happily accepted that he had to go to Vietnam. This didn't stop him doing his utmost to get others out of the same duty though. The film also never seemed to satisfactorily explain why Bozz had joined the army in the first place. But then, maybe I really was missing something.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I live in Bristol with my husband Dan (who I married in July 2007), my son Joe (born 2012) and daughter Jess (born 2015). I work at UWE (the University of the West of England) in Bristol as a Research and Open Access Librarian. I'm orginally from Exeter, so moving back to Bristol is a bit like coming home - especially as I studied for my undergraduate degree here (also at UWE). I love travelling and movies, although I get to do a lot less of both since the birth of our children. Although we have still managed to fit in holidays to the Isles of Scilly, Chamonix and a summer in California since Joe was born.